Home » Agriculture » CESD brings innovation in agriculture through the SAM Project

CESD brings innovation in agriculture through the SAM Project

Enter your email address to follow CESD's website and receive notifications of new posts by email.

CESD concluded a field visit to the Yut Sauk Township, in Shan State as part of its engagement with the Smart Agriculture Myanmar (SAM) project along with Impact Terra. The field visit was aimed at introducing the Golden Paddy mobile application to maize (corn) farmers and gather necessary inputs for future research.

It has been reported that domestic consumption of corn has been rapidly increasing in Myanmar which has been largely driven by a growing livestock feed sector, where corn is replacing the previous primary input, cracked rice. Myanmar has exported 300 to 400 thousand MT of maize annually. The bulk of which is exported to China. In total, 98% of Myanmar’s corn exports take place along the border between Myanmar and China, with the remaining 2% exported to Singapore, Malaysia, the Philippines, Vietnam and Pakistan. However, several studies along with CESD’s own research have indicated a number of obstacles for further development in order to harness the increased consumption of maize (corn) both within Myanmar and abroad.

In this regard, innovation and digital services play a crucial role in order to overcome such obstacles which has led CESD to be part of the consortium behind the Smart Agriculture Myanmar (SAM) project. The SAM Project is aimed at the introduction of an upgraded version of the Shwe Thee Nhan (Golden Paddy) mobile application that will benefit small holder farmers in providing up-to date information about agriculture variables such as the weather, good agricultural practices, access to market prices and enable diversification, sourcing of inputs, and potentially customized access to credit facilities based on the data gathered through the mobile application that is regularly input by farmers.

The SAM project is led by Impact Terra along with other consortium partners including CESD, Satelligence, Financial Access, and Wageningen University & Research with support from the Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Irrigation (MoALI).

Pictured below are CESD staff members in Shan State during field visits.

%d bloggers like this: